Although there are no known cases of COVID-19 in Gilchrist, Levy, or Dixie County, we have been collaborating with the Florida Department of Health to develop a plan to mitigate an outbreak. At this point, however, our primary focus is on flu prevention. Flu prevention protocols are useful for preventing many illnesses, including respiratory illnesses like the flu and Coronavirus. The best way to avoid the spread of these illnesses is to practice the following simple measures:
• Wash hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds
• Cover your cough or sneeze with your elbow, not your hands
• Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
• Avoid close contact, kissing, hugging, and sharing cups, food, or eating utensils with others
• Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces, such as doorknobs, handrails, and keyboards
• Stay home if you are sick
• If you have asthma, follow your asthma care plan, and call your doctor if you are sick
• Get the flu vaccine.
We will continue working with the Department of Health on proactive
measures to address contagious diseases and will provide additional
information and resources as appropriate. For more information now,
please visit the Florida Department of Health website at www.floridahealth.gov or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at www.cdc.gov.